The ocean and coastal seas are the most exciting, yet challenging, environments to work in. Over the past thirty years, Plymouth Marine Laboratory has been at the forefront of pushing forward our understanding of the oceans using a combination of observations and modelling. PML is looking to appoint an Apprentice based in its Ships Group, to combine work based learning with a formal qualification leading to a Level 3 Apprenticeship in Maritime Studies.
On completion of the apprenticeship there may be a possibility of an exciting career in this group working at sea on the RV Plymouth Quest and RIB PML Explorer in support of scientific research.
Purpose of Apprenticeship
PML is looking for a talented and enthusiastic sea going apprentice to join our team of Ships staff to support the scientific research being undertaken of the Western Channel Observatory and other scientific projects.
- To work on the deck of RV Plymouth Quest as part of a crew of 4 in varying roles and sometimes arduous conditions.
- To take water samples with a rosette sampler to gathering electronic data with various pieces of equipment fitted to the vessel.
- To use numerous mechanical samplers for bottom sampling.
- To assist the engineers in performing basic tasks to keep the vessel running smoothly and safely: this can vary from engine servicing to fixing mechanical hardware.
- To help in the housekeeping of the vessel which will include the cleaning and tidying and basic seamanship tasks of dealing with ropes and moorings.
- To work on the deck of the RIB PML Explorer, providing assistance and good housekeeping tasks as required.
- Accept legal responsibility for own safety and that of others, including, where appropriate, staff for whom there is a management responsibility.
Qualifications and Skills needed:
- GCSE C or above in Mathematics and English
- Excellent communication skills
- Aptitude for problem solving and using initiative
- Good eye for detail
- Ability and willingness to follow correct procedures
- Basic computer skills
- The ability to work well as part of a team
The Apprenticeship will be running in conjunction with Whitby Training School and will require several residential stays in Yorkshire for significant periods of time.
Initially, the candidate will spend the first few months working on board with the Ships Crew; the apprenticeship will start officially in Spring 2019, lasting for 22 months.
If you are interested in this exciting opportunity – please send a Cover Letter and CV to firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing Date: 1700hrs on Friday 12th October 2018.
Interviews will take place in early November.