Could you be part of our digital future? Digital science roles at Plymouth Marine Laboratory
7 April 2022
PML is seeking candidates to be part of an ambitious team to harness the full potential of AI, Machine Learning and autonomy in support of a sustainable ocean future.
The sheer volume, complexity and pace of the data that our scientists are now working with means traditional research methods are rapidly becoming overwhelmed. As such, Artificial Intelligence (AI), Machine Learning (ML) and autonomy are emerging as important research tools, with the potential to be applied across many aspects of our work and unlock exciting opportunities to expand the horizons of marine research.
With that in mind, we are seeking to recruit the following positions:
Lead for Environmental Digital Science
Salary: £55k to £65K (depending on experience)
Tasked with shaping and delivering PML’s Digital Science Strategy you will provide lab-wide strategic leadership to facilitate digital transformation across all science areas, mentoring colleagues and enabling PML to fully embrace a Big Data future and capitalise on digital tools and techniques such as AI and Machine Learning.
As a senior leader with proficiency working with large datasets or synthesis within your research (using a range of coding, data formatting and manipulation techniques) you will ensure the opportunities provided by advanced digital science techniques are exploited in order to deliver and publish world-class marine environmental and social research.
- Highly-skilled in the use of digital technologies for research purposes
- Proven track record in publishing - in particular, leading publications with large datasets or synthesis at their core
- Demonstratable understanding of the tools and infrastructure required for carrying out digital-centric research (coding; data formatting and manipulation)
- Experience in securing external funding to support research activities, training and capital infrastructure investment
- Ability to demonstrate the interoperability between the different datasets which form the PML data ecosystem and data ecosystems held elsewhere
To apply click here: https://pml.kallidusrecruit.com/VacancyInformation.aspx?VId=21640
Senior Scientists (x4)
Salary £40,486 - £46,410pa
We are looking for biogeochemists, ecologists and social scientists with digital skills to help drive PML’s digital strategy forward. Using digital technologies and advanced techniques to carry out and publish world-class marine environmental and social interdisciplinary research you will inform some of the most significant global environmental challenges while helping to build knowledge across the organisation.
As an innovative, technically-proficient and established researcher you will take the lead in securing grant funding, managing projects and collaborating across specialisms, supported by the unique skillsets and facilities at PML.
Your creative application of the very latest digital science techniques to address key environmental and social questions will help grow PML’s external reputation as a leader in this rapidly-evolving area.
- an established research career, with a proven track record of high quality publications and evidence of significant impact
- proficiency in working with large datasets or synthesis within your research, using a range of coding, data formatting and manipulation techniques
- ability to lead research collaboratively across specialisms, together with project and financial management experience
- a track record of securing research funding
- experience of conducting social or natural science within an interdisciplinary setting.
To discuss the role in more detail please contact Steve Widdicombe, swi @pml.ac.uk
To apply click here: https://pml.kallidusrecruit.com/VacancyInformation.aspx?VId=21641
Data Systems Architect
Salary £32,527 - £38,486pa
Supporting the implementation of advanced digital science and data manipulation techniques within PML, you will play a key role in developing and growing the PML data ecosystem, using your understanding of how datasets can be used, visualised and repurposed to support new scientific discovery and world-class research.
We seek a problem-solver and creative thinker with a keen understanding of all aspects of Big Data and the ambition to further their use in the research environment. You will be tasked with enabling interaction between PML’s data and wider global data ecosystems, ensuring best practice is achieved in terms of format, methods and process at every turn.
- Experience of designing the flow, exchange and interchange of Big Data within a research environment
- Understanding of the purpose and value of datasets and how to determine the most suitable format of data to use for a given purpose or problem
- Understanding of the importance of data synthesis and able to implement the best methods for data integration
- Experience with digital twins, data visualisation and Artificial Intelligence desirable.
To discuss the role in more detail please contact Tim Smyth, tjsm @pml.ac.uk.
To apply click here: https://pml.kallidusrecruit.com/VacancyInformation.aspx?VId=21642
For more information about working at PML visit our working with us page.