Selected key publications
Nelms, SE; Galloway, TSG; Godley, BJ; Jarvis, DS; Lindeque, PK. 2018 Investigating microplastic trophic transfer in marine top predators. Environmental Pollution. doi: 10.1016/j.envpol.2018.02.016
Nelms, SE; Coombes, C; Foster, LC; Godley, BJ; Galloway, TSG; Lindeque, PK; Witt, MJ. 2017 Marine anthropogenic litter on British beaches: a 10-year nationwide assessment using citizen science data. Science of the Total Environmnet. doi: 10.1016/j.scitotenv.2016.11.137
Nelms, SE; Duncan, EM; Broderick, AC; Galloway, TSG; Godfrey, MH; Hamann, M; Lindeque, PK; Godley, BJ. 2016 Plastic and marine turtles: a review and call for research. ICES Journal of Marine Science: Journal du Conseil, 73 (2). 165-181. doi: 10.1093/icesjms/fsv165
Cole, M., Lindeque, P.K., Fileman, E., Halsband, C., Galloway, T. 2015. The impact of microplastics on feeding, function and fecundity in the copepod Calanus helgolandicus. Environmental Science & Technology, 49(2): 1130–1137. doi: 10.1021/es504525u
Cripps, G., Lindeque, P.K., Flynn, K. 2014. Have we been underestimating the effects of ocean acidification in zooplankton? Global Change Biology. 20(11): 3377-3385. doi: 10.1111/gcb.12582
Lindeque, P.K., Parry, H.E., Harmer, R.A., Somerfield, P.J., Atkinson, A. 2013 Next Generation Sequencing Reveals the Hidden Diversity of Zooplankton Assemblages. PLoS ONE 8(11): e81327. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0081327
Cole, M., Lindeque, P.K., Fileman, E., Halsband, C., Goodhead, R., Moger, J., Galloway, T.S. 2013. Microplastic ingestion by zooplankton. Environmental Science and Technology, doi: 10.1021/es400663f
Dr Lindeque has held the post of Head of Postgraduate Studies at PML, including PML's involvement with the three Doctoral Training Partnerships (DTPs), GW4+, Spitfire and EnvEast, since 2014.
Pennie is an invited chair of the Study Group on Integrated Morphological and Molecular Taxonomy (SGIMT).
Recent impact and outreach activities include:
- Presentation to the Parliamentary and Scientific committee on the problem of plastics and plankton (London, 2016).
- Contribution to the Parliamentary Office of Science and Technology (POST) briefing on public policy issues related to marine microplastic pollution (2016).
- Popular science articles including International Council for Exploration of the Sea (ICES) feature article on ‘Plastics and Plankton’ (August 2016); Marine Biologists article ‘Plastics, plankton and pollution’ (Oct 2016), ‘Microplastics, Major problem’, Pipeline magazine, Surfers against sewage 2015.
- BBC Inside Out feature on microplastics in the marine environment, Oct 2015.
- Involvement with the production of educational films and lessons plans for GSCE national curriculum based around microplastic research in the marine environment.