Tim is a business development manager for PML and PML Applications Ltd, PML’s trading subsidiary. As the lead of PML Applications’ Biofouling and Ballast Water Group and an expert in the environmental aspects of ballast water treatment, Tim delivers specialist services to the shipping industry and international classification societies. He has over thirty years’ experience working internationally for marine monitoring and research organisations in the UK. Tim's career began as an analytical chemist in pollution-related monitoring and he has a special interest in biogeochemistry, the fate of organic contaminants in the marine environment and rapid monitoring techniques.
“Balancing the Ballast Water Challenge” Tom Vance & Tim Fileman, Environment Industry Magazine, April 2011, p66-69
“Ballast Water – A Question of Balance” Tim Fileman & Tom Vance, Marine Scientist, No 33, December 2010, p22-25.
“Rapid Assessment of Marine Pollution - A new toolkit to identify environmental impacts and threats in aquatic environments has already done much good”. Tim Fileman and David Lowe, The Environmentalist, 22 June 2009, issue 80, p22-23.
Validation of Immunoassay Methods to Determine Hydrocarbon Contamination in Estuarine Sediments. Gilberto Fillmann, Márcia C. Bicego, Ademilson Zamboni, Tim W. Fileman, Michael H. Depledge and James W. Readman. J. Braz. Chem. Soc., Vol. 18, No. 4, 774-781, 2007.
Accumulation patterns of organochlorines in juveniles of Arctocephalus australis found stranded along the coast of Southern Brazil. Gilberto Fillmann, Luciano Hermanns, Tim W. Fileman, James W. Readman. Environmental Pollution, Volume 146, Issue 1, March 2007, Pages 262–267.
Determination of ammonium regeneration rates in the oligotrophic ocean by Gas Chromatography/Mass Spectrometry. Darren R. Clark, Tim W. Fileman and Ian Joint. Marine Chemistry, Volume 98, Issues 2–4, 1 February 2006, Pages 121–130.
The fate of phosphate in an in situ Lagrangian addition experiment in the Eastern Mediterranean. C.S. Law, E.R. Abraham, E.M.S. Woodward, M.I. Liddicoat, T.W. Fileman, T.F. Thingstad, V. Kitidis, T. Zohary. Deep Sea Research Part II: Topical Studies in Oceanography, Volume 52, Issues 22–23, November 2005, Pages 2911–2927.
- Castro, MCT; Veldhuis, MJW; Fileman, TW; Hall-Spencer, JM; 2018. Different approaches and limitations for testing phytoplankton viability in natural assemblies and treated ballast water. Marine Pollution Bulletin.
- Trindade de Castro, MC; Vance, T; Yunnie, ALE; Fileman, TW; Hall-Spencer, JM; 2018. Low salinity as a biosecurity tool for minimizing biofouling on ship sea chests. Ocean Science.
- Castro, MCT; Hall-Spencer, JM; Poggian, CF; Fileman, TW; 2018. Ten years of Brazilian ballast water management. Journal of Sea Research.
- Trindade de Castro, MC; Fileman, TW; Hall-Spencer, JM; 2017. Invasive species in the Northeastern and Southwestern Atlantic Ocean: A review. Marine Pollution Bulletin.
- Fernandes, JA; Santos, L; Vance, T; Fileman, TW; Smith, D; Bishop, JDD; Viard, F; Queiros, AM; Merino, G; Buisman, E; Austen, MC; 2016. Costs and benefits to European shipping of ballast-water and hull-fouling treatment: Impacts of native and non-indigenous species. Marine Policy.