Tom is an earth observation and an optical scientist, and he joined the EOSA group at PML in October 2020. His current research focuses on using in situ optical measurements of water bodies to improve satellite retrievals of water quality. He enjoys applying electromagnetic-based techniques including radiometry, polarimetry, interferometry and scatterometry.
Previously Tom was a research fellow at University of Bristol and Stanford, where he specialized in radar remote sensing of glaciers. This included applications within subglacial hydrology, ice-sheet topography, and ice microstructure. He obtained his PhD in from University of Bristol where his research focused on the optical characterization of reflective structures in marine animals.
- Jordan, T.M., Partridge, J.C. & Roberts, N.W. 2012. Non-polarizing broadband multilayer reflectors in fish, Nature Photonics, 6, 11, 759-763. doi: 10.1038/nphoton.2012.260
- Jordan, T.M., Partridge, J. C. & Roberts, N. W. 2014. Disordered animal multilayer reflectors and the localization of light. Journal of the Royal Society Interface, 11, 20140948. doi: 10.1098/rsif.2014.0948
- Jordan, T. M. , Cooper, M. A., Schroeder, D. M., Williams, C. N., Paden, J. D., Siegert, M. J., and Bamber, J. L. 2017. Self-affine subglacial roughness: consequences for radar scattering and basal water discrimination in northern Greenland, The Cryosphere, 11, 1247–1264. doi: 10.5194/tc-11-1247-2017
- Jordan, T. M. , Williams, C. N., Schroeder, D. M., Martos, Y. M., Cooper, M. A., Siegert, M. J., Paden, J. D., Huybrechts, P., and Bamber, J. L. 2018. A constraint upon the basal water distribution and thermal state of the Greenland Ice Sheet from radar bed echoes, The Cryosphere, 12, 2831–2854. doi: 10.5194/tc-12-2831-2018
- Jordan, T.M. , Schroeder D.M., Castelletti, D., Li, J. Dall, J. 2019. A polarimetric coherence method to determine ice crystal orientation fabric from radar sounding: application to the NEEM ice core region, IEEE Transactions of Geoscience and Remote Sensing, 57, 11, 8641-8656. doi: 10.1109/TGRS.2019.2921980