Joana is a benthic ecologist within the Marine Ecology and Biodiversity group at PML and co-leader of the WCO Benthic Survey., an ongoing time-series programme initiated in 2008.
Jo is a sea-going scientist and participates in both field- and laboratory-based studies assessing the impacts of climate change and other anthropogenic stressors on benthic organisms and their environment. Jo also contributes to systematic reviews assessing modern world effects on marine communities worldwide.
Before coming to PML in 2011, Jo’s research focus used to be terrestrial ecology, having graduated from an M.Sc. in Evolutionary and Behavioural Ecology (Distinction) from the University of Exeter.
- Queiros, AM; Stephens, N; Widdicombe, S; Tait, K; McCoy, SJ; Ingels, J; Ruhl, S; Airs, RL; Beesley, A; Carnovale, G; Cazenave, P; Dashfield, SL; Hua, E; Jones, M; Lindeque, PK; McNeill, CL; Nunes, J; Parry, HE; Pascoe, CK; Widdicombe, CE; Smyth, TJ; Atkinson, A; Krause‐Jensen, D; Somerfield, PJ; 2019. Connected macroalgal‐sediment systems: blue carbon and food webs in the deep coastal ocean. Ecological Monographs.
- Kitidis, V; Tait, K; Nunes, J; Brown, IJ; Woodward, EMS; Harris, C; Sabadel, AJM; Sivyer, DB; Silburn, B; Kröger, S; 2017. Seasonal benthic nitrogen cycling in a temperate shelf sea: the Celtic Sea. Biogeochemistry.
- Papathanasopoulou, E; Beaumont, NJ; Hooper, TL; Nunes, J; Queiros, AM; 2015. Energy systems and their impacts on marine ecosystem services. Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews.
- Widdicombe, S; McNeill, CL; Stahl, H; Taylor, P; Queiros, AM; Nunes, J; Tait, K; 2015. Impact of sub-seabed CO2 leakage on macrobenthic community structure and diversity. International Journal of Greenhouse Gas Control.
- Queiros, AM; Stephens, N; Cook, R; Ravaglioli, C; Nunes, J; Dashfield, SL; Harris, C; Tilstone, GH; Fishwick, J; Braeckman, U; Somerfield, PJ; Widdicombe, S; 2015. Can benthic community structure be used to predict the process of bioturbation in real ecosystems. Progress in Oceanography.