"…Benthic marine invertebrates, particularly the hugely diverse and beautiful polychaete worms have always fascinated me, and I feel privileged to be working towards developing holistic approaches to help protect and manage the marine environment whilst inspiring others along the way.”
Louise is a benthic ecologist working within the Marine Ecology and Biodiversity group. Specific research interests include the functional diversity of marine benthic ecosystems focusing on macrofaunal invertebrates. Louise has 22 years’ experience in taxonomic identification of benthic macrofauna and has led manipulative mesocosm experiments addressing the effects of ocean acidification and global climate change. Louise also conducts monthly offshore field observations in the Plymouth Sound as part of the world leading “Western Channel Observatories Benthic Time Series”.
University of Exeter Marine Ecology Field Course
- Queiros, AM; Stephens, N; Widdicombe, S; Tait, K; McCoy, SJ; Ingels, J; Ruhl, S; Airs, RL; Beesley, A; Carnovale, G; Cazenave, P; Dashfield, SL; Hua, E; Jones, M; Lindeque, PK; McNeill, CL; Nunes, J; Parry, HE; Pascoe, CK; Widdicombe, CE; Smyth, TJ; Atkinson, A; Krause‐Jensen, D; Somerfield, PJ; 2019. Connected macroalgal‐sediment systems: blue carbon and food webs in the deep coastal ocean. Ecological Monographs.
- Lessin, G; Bruggeman, J; McNeill, CL; Widdicombe, S; 2019. Time scales of benthic macrofaunal response to pelagic production differ between major feeding groups. Frontiers in Marine Science.
- Murray, F; Widdicombe, S; McNeill, CL; Douglas, A; 2017. Assessing the consequences of environmental impacts: variation in species responses has unpredictable functional effects. Marine Ecology Progress Series.
- Hummel, H; van Avesaath, P; Wijnhoven, S; Kleine-Schaars, L; Degraer, S; Kerckhof, F; Bojanic, N; Skejic, S; Vidjak, O; Rousou, M; Orav-Kotta, H; Kotta, J; Jourde, J; Pedrotti, ML; Leclerc, JC; Simon, N; Rigaut-Jalabert, F; Bachelet, G; Lavesque, N; Arvanitidis, C; Pavloudi, C; Faulwetter, S; Crowe, TP; Coughlan, J; Benedetti-Cecchi, L; Dal Bello, M; Magni, P; Como, S; Coppa, S; Ikauniece, A; Ruginis, T; Jankowska, E; Weslawski, JM; Warzocha, J; Gromisz, s; Witalis, B; Silva, T; Ribeiro, P; Fernandes De Matos, VK; Sousa-Pinto, I; Veiga, P; Troncoso, J; Guinda, X; Juanes De La Pena, JA; Puente, A; Espinosa, F; Perez-Ruzafa, A; Frost, MT; McNeill, CL; Peleg, O; Rilov, G; 2017. Geographic patterns of biodiversity in European coastal marine benthos. Journal of the Marine Biological Association of the United Kingdom.
- Aldridge, JN; Lessin, G; Amoudry, LO; Hicks, N; Hull, T; Klar, JK; Kitidis, V; McNeill, CL; Ingels, J; Parker, ER; Silburn, B; Silva, T; Sivyer, DB; Smith, HEK; Widdicombe, S; Woodward, EMS; Van der Molen, J; Garcia, L; Kröger, S; 2017. Comparing benthic biogeochemistry at a sandy and a muddy site in the Celtic Sea using a model and observations. Biogeochemistry.