I am a PhD student with the University of Essex, based permanently at Plymouth Marine Laboratory. My PhD project is entitled ‘Ingestion of microplastics by zooplankton and implications for the wider marine ecosystem and human wellbeing’. My supervisors are Pennie Lindeque (PML), Nicky Beaumont (PML), Michael Steinke (University of Essex), Richard Thompson (Plymouth University) and Tarquin Dorrington (DEFRA).
Prior to starting my PhD, I worked at the University of Exeter (Penryn campus) as a PA and research assistant.
Botterell, Z.L.R., Beaumont, N., Dorrington, T., Steinke, M., Thompson, R.C., Lindeque, P.K. in press. Bioavailability and effects of microplastics on marine zooplankton: a review. Environmental Pollution. doi: 10.1016/j.envpol.2018.10.065
- Botterell, ZLR; Bergmann, M; Hildebrandt, N; Krumpen, T; Steinke, M; Thompson, RC; Lindeque, PK; 2022. Microplastic ingestion in zooplankton from the Fram Strait in the Arctic. Science of The Total Environment.
- Lindeque, PK; Botterell, ZLR; Coppock, RL; Cole, MJ; 2021. Plastics and Plankton in Our Seas. Frontiers for Young Minds.
- Botterell, ZLR; Penrose, R; Witt, MJ; Godley, BJ; 2020. Long-term insights into marine turtle sightings, strandings and captures around the UK and Ireland (1910–2018). Journal of the Marine Biological Association of the United Kingdom.
- Botterell, ZLR; Beaumont, NJ; Cole, MJ; Hopkins, FE.; Steinke, M; Thompson, RC; Lindeque, PK; 2020. Bioavailability of Microplastics to Marine Zooplankton: Effect of Shape and Infochemicals. Environmental Science & Technology.
- Botterell, ZLR; Beaumont, NJ; Dorrington, T; Steinke, M; Thompson, RC; Lindeque, PK; 2019. Bioavailability and effects of microplastics on marine zooplankton: A review. Environmental Pollution.