Join our Board of Trustees
What are we seeking?
We are looking for individuals who can make a positive and enthusiastic contribution to PML’s mission and who have a genuine interest in the natural environment.
Our Board membership reflects the need to have both strong scientific as well as business representation (see People for our current Board composition).
In considering applications for these positions, the Board of Trustees will seek to appoint people who are able to offer:
- Experience at Board level or senior management level.
- Specific professional skills and experience in sectors such as finance, business, fundraising and the voluntary/charitable sector, or environmental sector.
- Can make informed, balanced and independent judgements on key issues.
- Can consider the long-term implications and broad view of issues, identifying opportunities and key risks.
- Promote PML as and when appropriate.
What is the time commitment?
Whilst the time commitment of individual members will vary, the following is considered a typical commitment required over a year:
- Attendance at three of the four quarterly meetings of the Board of Trustees of PML.
- Appropriate time before and between meetings to read papers and stay abreast of relevant developments
- Membership of one of the sub-committees of the Board, such as Audit & Finance Committee, or Remuneration Committee. The former meets at least twice a year; the latter once.
- Discussions and exchanges with the Chair outside of meetings, and where appropriate with members of the Executive
- You would serve in an individual capacity rather than as a representative of any organisation or corporate body.
- Trustee positions are not remunerated. Reasonable travel and other out-of-pocket expenses will be reimbursed in line with PML’s policy on Trustees expenses.
- PML encourages applications regardless of gender, ethnicity, religion, disability, sexual orientation or age.
If you are interested in applying for the position of a Trustee, please send your CV and a statement of suitability (two page summary) outlining evidence and examples that you consider demonstrate how you meet the role requirements to PML’s Company Secretary at: cosec
All applications will be treated in strictest confidence and personal data managed in accordance with the Data Protection Act (2018). Please see our Privacy Notice.
Salary: Unpaid position
Benefits: Reasonable expenses paid
Location: Plymouth Marine Laboratory, Plymouth