"It is a privilege to lead our world-class research organisation, and our burgeoning commercial arm, in meeting the challenges presented by a changing marine environment."
Professor Icarus Allen is Chief Executive of Plymouth Marine Laboratory. He is also an honorary visiting professor at the College of Life and Environmental Sciences of the University of Exeter.
Icarus has been working as a research scientist at PML for over 30 years, during which he has acquired a broad range of experience both as a marine ecosystem modelling scientist, senior manager, Director of Science and most recently as Chief Executive.
His scientific background is multidisciplinary, specialising in the numerical modelling of marine systems from individual cells to shelf wide ecosystems. In general terms the focus of this work has been the coupled physical biogeochemical modelling of shelf seas, with a focus on the NW European Shelf. More specifically this involves; operational ecosystem forecasting to develop operational plankton/ water quality forecasts, data assimilation and merging model/EO data products to predict HABs, model skill assessment, shelf seas ecosystem response to multiple drivers, both climate and anthropogenic, development of global shelf seas ecosystem models based on NEMO_ERSEM and the process modelling of climatically active marine biogases.
Icarus has led / been involved in over 30 national and international scientific programmes which have led to collaborative work with scientists in 30 countries. During this time, he has published over 110 peer reviewed papers and written over 40 non-peer reviewed papers and contract reports.
- Allen JI, Somerfield PJ, Gilbert FJ. 2007. Quantifying uncertainty in high-resolution coupled hydrodynamic-ecosystem models. Journal of Marine Systems, 64(1-4), 3-14.
- Barange M, Merino G, Blanchard JL, Scholtens J, Harle J, Allison EH, Allen JI, Holt J, Jennings S. 2014. Impacts of climate change on marine ecosystem production in societies dependent on fisheries. Nature Climate Change, 4(3), 211-216.
- Blackford JC, Allen JI, Gilbert FJ. 2004. Ecosystem dynamics at six contrasting sites: a generic modelling study. Journal of Marine Systems, 52(1-4), 191-215.
- Blanchard JL, Jennings S, Holmes R, Harle J, Merino G, Allen JI, Holt J, Dulvy NK, Barange M. 2012. Potential consequences of climate change for primary production and fish production in large marine ecosystems. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society B - Biological Sciences, 367, 2979-2989.
- Moore MN, Allen JI, McVeigh A. 2006. Environmental prognostics: An integrated model supporting lysosomal stress responses as predictive biomarkers of animal health status. Marine Environmental Research, 61(3), 278-304.
- Stow CA, Jolliff J, McGillicuddy DJ, Jr, Doney SC, Allen JI, Friedrichs MAM, Rose KA, Wallheadg P. 2009. Skill assessment for coupled biological/physical models of marine systems. Journal of Marine Systems, 76(1-2), 4-15.
- de Mora, L; Yool, A; Palmieri, J; Sellar, A; Kuhlbrodt, T; Popova, E; Jones, C; Allen, JI; 2018. BGC-val: a model- and grid-independent Python toolkit to evaluate marine biogeochemical models. Geoscientific Model Development.
- Ciavatta, S; Brewin, RJW; Skákala, J; Polimene, L; Artioli, Y; Allen, JI; de Mora, L; 2018. Assimilation of ocean-colour plankton functional types to improve marine ecosystem simulations. Journal of Geophysical Research-Oceans.
- Nielsen, JR; Thunberg, E; Holland, DS; Schmidt, JO; Fulton, EA; Bastardie, F; Punt, AE; Allen, I; Bartelings, H; Bertignac, M; Bethke, E; Bossier, S; Buckworth, R; Carpenter, G; Christensen, A; Christensen, V; Da-Rocha, JM; Deng, R; Dichmont, C; Doering, R; Esteban, A; Fernandes, JA; Frost, H; Garcia, D; Gasche, L; Gascuel, D; Gourguet, S; Groeneveld, RA; Guillén, J; Guyader, O; Hamon, KG; Hoff, A; Horbowy, J; Hutton, T; Lehuta, S; Little, LR; Lleonart, J; Macher, C; Mackinson, S; Mahevas, S; Marchal, P; Mato-Amboage, R; Mapstone, B; Maynou, F; Merzéréaud, M; Palacz, A; Pascoe, S; Paulrud, A; Plaganyi, E; Prellezo, R; van Putten, EI; Quaas, M; Ravn-Jonsen, L; Sanchez, S; Simons, S; Thébaud, O; Tomczak, MT; Ulrich, C; van Dijk, D; Vermard, Y; Voss, R; Waldo, S; 2018. Integrated ecological-economic fisheries models-Evaluation, review and challenges for implementation. Fish and Fisheries.
- Bruun, JT; Allen, JI; Smyth, TJ; 2017. Heartbeat of the Southern Oscillation explains ENSO climatic resonances. Journal of Geophysical Research: Oceans.
- Polimene, L; Sailley, SF; Clark, DR; Mitra, A; Allen, JI; 2017. Biological or Microbial Carbon Pump? The role of phytoplankton stoichiometry in ocean carbon sequestration. Journal of Plankton Research.