Prof Steve Groom has over 35 years’ experience in satellite and aircraft remote sensing with special interest in ocean colour, coccolithophores, inland waters and near-real time, operational environmental monitoring. Also interested in use of EO data notably in the developing world.
Steve is Head of Science for Earth Observation Science, the largest science area at PML with over 30 tenured staff.
He has managed over 50 commissioned research projects as principal investigator funded by the UK Natural Environment Research Council (NERC), the European Commission (EC), Copernicus, European Space Agency (ESA) and UK Space Agency.
Steve has more recently been involved in projects to make PML more green moving towards the target of net-zero carbon emissions. He is also interested in Artificial Intelligence in Earth Observation. He has 69 co-authored peer-reviewed papers in web of science with an h index of 32.
- DANUBIUS European Research Infrastructure
- Groom et al. (2019). Satellite Ocean Colour: Current Status and Future Perspective. Frontiers in Marine Science 6, 485.
- Sathyendranath et al. inc Groom (2019). An Ocean-Colour Time Series For Use In Climate Studies: The Experience Of The Ocean Colour Climate Change Initiative (OC-CCI). Sensors, 19(19):4285.
- Valente A., et al. inc. Groom (2019) A compilation of global bio-optical in situ data for ocean-colour satellite applications – version two. Earth Syst. Sci. Data, 11, 1037-1068,
- Tyler, AN., Hunter, PD., Spyrakos, E., Groom, S., Constantinescu, AM., Kitchen, J. Developments in Earth observation for the assessment and monitoring of inland, transitional, coastal and shelf-sea waters (2017) Science of the Total Environment, 572, 1307-1321.
- Gong, M; O’Donnell, R; Miller, C; Scott, M; Simis, SGH; Groom, SB; Tyler, A; Hunter, P; Spyrakos, E; Merchant, CJ; Maberly, SC; Carvalho, L; 2022. Adaptive smoothing to identify spatial structure in global lake ecological processes using satellite remote sensing data. Spatial Statistics.
- Brotas, V; Tarran, GA; Veloso, V; Brewin, RJW; Woodward, EMS; Airs, RL; Beltran, C; Ferreira, AS; Groom, SB; 2022. Complementary Approaches to Assess Phytoplankton Groups and Size Classes on a Long Transect in the Atlantic Ocean. Frontiers in Marine Science.
- Papagiannopoulos, N; Raitsos, DE; Krokos, G; Gittings, JA; Brewin, RJW; Papadopoulos, VP; Pavlidou, A; Selmes, N; Groom, SB; Hoteit, I; 2021. Phytoplankton Biomass and the Hydrodynamic Regime in NEOM, Red Sea. Remote Sensing.
- Gong, M; Miller, C; Scott, M; O’Donnell, R; Simis, SGH; Groom, SB; Tyler, A; Hunter, P; Spyrakos, E; 2021. State space functional principal component analysis to identify spatiotemporal patterns in remote sensing lake water quality. Stochastic Environmental Research and Risk Assessment.
- Brewin, RJW; Sathyendranath, S; Platt, T; Bouman, H; Ciavatta, S; Dall'Olmo, G; Dingle, J; Groom, SB; Jonsson, B; Kostadinov, TS; Kulk, G; Laine, M; Martinez-Vicente, V; Psarra, S; Raitsos, DE; Richardson, K; Rio, MH; Rousseaux, CS; Salisbury, J; Shutler, JD; Walker, P; 2021. Sensing the ocean biological carbon pump from space: A review of capabilities, concepts, research gaps and future developments. Earth-Science Reviews.